Feb 21, 2011

The First Meeting

Last night I attended my first Poly Meetup, which I have been trying to avoid at all costs. There was one that Fox and John had attempted to bring me to months ago but I was making a big deal out of not dating anyone at that point. 

It was a great experience in the end. Of course it took me a double rum and coke to calm my nerves and open up, but everyone expected that. As open as I am, social events make me nuts. Too many people, too many voices, too many judging eyes. 

But here, there were others struggling with it just as much as I am. Married couples who are just opening to the idea, single people looking to be whole an happy, and poly families of 10 years that are still struggling to make it work everyday. 

I'm not alone in this. There are others like me (although very few fully GLBT people at the meetup) and there was my family. Fox held my hand and John sat comfortably between Matt and Curtis, the new beaus who have been involved with eachother for awhile but are new to John. 

Honestly, I am looking forward to this experience more and more each day. Especially with the possibilities of finding others that  may soon join us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment